My name is Thomas Bibby, I am an iOS Developer based in Limerick, Ireland. Read more about me»
- Forty, Thirty, Twenty, Ten: make Limerick’s transport work again July 11, 2019
- Time to start building Limerick’s cycle network June 10, 2019
- The young people of Limerick have spoken, it’s time to act on climate change March 15, 2019
- Memories of the abortion referendum campaign in Limerick November 22, 2018
- What’s next after Repealing the 8th? I’d like to help get a woman elected to Limerick Council August 15, 2018
- Some recent accounts of sexism and harassment in the tech industry August 7, 2018
- 12 better rules for men July 18, 2018
- Is Irish masculinity in crisis? July 15, 2018
All content by category
- I’m deleting my Facebook account tomorrowJanuary 8, 2018
- Starting to break out from the walled gardenSeptember 30, 2017
- Moving onJanuary 18, 2017
- Five reasons why you should buy my old post office vanApril 23, 2016
- It’s a new dawn, a new day…May 17, 2012
- Time to start building Limerick’s cycle networkJune 10, 2019
- The young people of Limerick have spoken, it’s time to act on climate changeMarch 15, 2019
- Memories of the abortion referendum campaign in LimerickNovember 22, 2018
- What’s next after Repealing the 8th? I’d like to help get a woman elected to Limerick CouncilAugust 15, 2018
- Limerick (County) 8th Amendment Referendum Tally 2018May 26, 2018
- Men of Limerick, please help to repeal the 8thApril 8, 2018
- If you’re lucky, like me, then campaign for RepealMarch 8, 2018
- We need to stop this nonsense about teaching coding in primary schoolJuly 18, 2016
- Supercalifragilis-HibernoCaledoniaJune 30, 2016
- Limerick City candidates answer my questionsFebruary 25, 2016
- Email the General Election 2016 candidates in Limerick CityJanuary 31, 2016
- Why I’m GreenJanuary 24, 2016
- Paying for water is a good thingSeptember 6, 2015
- Limerick City constituency tally Marriage Equality Referendum 2015May 24, 2015
- Limerick (county) constituency tally Marriage Equality Referendum 2015May 24, 2015
- Marriage is about friendshipMay 16, 2015
- The right to marryApril 9, 2015
- Getting married?March 30, 2013
- Moyross, Education, and changing the debateFebruary 4, 2013
- Some recent accounts of sexism and harassment in the tech industryAugust 7, 2018
- 12 better rules for menJuly 18, 2018
- Is Irish masculinity in crisis?July 15, 2018
- Make our street great againJune 29, 2017
- The Curious Tale of Limerick Marketing CompanyMay 17, 2016
- Reinventing Limerick, Part 1December 18, 2013
- On Foreigners and RubbishFebruary 25, 2013
- Get all cases of an enum in Swift 4.2 with CaseIterableMay 30, 2018
- Eight opinionated tips for people learning SwiftDecember 18, 2017
- Don’t use the Force, LukeMarch 19, 2017
- Hey Siri, turn the Christmas lights onDecember 28, 2016
- iOS – checking to see if a word with blank letters is valid using NSSet, NSArray, Core Data and SQLiteOctober 19, 2016
- How I edit podcastsOctober 1, 2016
- Announcing Direach, a new WordPress theme aimed at readersAugust 11, 2016
- Three podcasters fix a WordPress plugin bug (with chat logs)July 20, 2016
- Identifying Irish addresses by countyApril 14, 2016
- Escape to the pub with a Raspberry Pi, a pressure mat and push notificationsApril 12, 2016
- Getting generic Arduino boards with CH340G chips to work with OS X 10.11 El CapitanOctober 17, 2015
- Using the KYX-5461AS 4-digit 7-segment LED display with ArduinoOctober 17, 2015
- Untitled August 6, 2019Good news for those of us crying out for better public transport and cycling facilities in Limerick. And some bad news.
- Untitled August 4, 2019And Eoin in Limerick has been writing some brilliant articles about cycling, urbanism, and how to design people-centred cities and neighbourhoods. I’m always grateful when there’s another post of his to read.
- Untitled August 4, 2019Reading long-form articles that people have posted on their own websites makes me so happy. Paul from Kerry has been posting some fantastic and thought provoking pieces about masculinity recently – they’re worth a read.
- Untitled August 3, 2019A fascinating look at how people use public spaces. Lots of really useful lessons on how to design our cities for humans.
- Untitled July 31, 2019Hear, hear: ‘But Fianna Fail councillor Abul Kalam Azad Talukder said: “Students are not outsiders. They are our family. Limerick has a good name as a student city and we need to make them feel welcome.”’
- Untitled July 29, 2019From a post I wrote last year: it is possible to close Limerick’s O’Connell St to through traffic *and* speed up our bus services by providing bus lanes for all services through the city centre.
- Untitled July 22, 2019Two letters to the editor of the Limerick Leader, November 1964.
- Untitled July 12, 2019Forty, Thirty, Twenty, Ten: make Limerick’s transport work again
- Untitled July 11, 2019This is not perfect but still to be welcomed – the road rises to meet the footpath, not the other way round, and the pedestrian priority is reinforced by the different material. So much better for pedestrians. More of this please!
- Untitled July 10, 2019In last year’s Limerick Council budget there was €1m for a cycle route to Mary I and €400m for a (unneeded) bridge at Park road. This year there’s no budget for the cycle route and €1.4m for the bridge. What’s going on?
- Untitled July 9, 2019“In Limerick, perhaps we need to arm our roads engineers with the permission to be street and community engineers instead“
- Untitled July 8, 2019Depressing thought of the day: Limerick city and county emits roughly the same amount of greenhouse gases as Liberia, population 4.5 million (source: Wikipedia, assuming per capita emissions in Limerick are the same as rest of country)
- Untitled July 1, 2019I’m hoping someone can help me…I’m trying to look at obnoxious interest rates charged by insurance companies on monthly instalments. 15% deposit and 9 equal instalments at an interest rate of 6.715%. APR is quoted at 17.04%. How is the APR calculated from those numbers?
- Untitled June 23, 2019Limerick’s traffic problem is a school traffic problem. Many parents want their kids to cycle or walk to school if they can be safe. We need to ditch plans for expensive ring roads and connect all schools with high quality bike lanes that your seven year-old would feel safe on.
- Untitled June 20, 2019Allowing Clare County Council and the University of Limerick to build a new town at the edge of the city would be damaging for the city, damaging for the region and damaging for the country.
- Untitled June 16, 2019Important questions: “To what extent is living in a surveillance-saturated world compatible with pluralism and democracy? What are the consequences of raising a generation of children whose every action feeds into a corporate database?”
- Untitled June 15, 2019I love this: “Our town exists in a fog of mystery and enigmatic strangeness, and nothing that happens outside city boundaries should have any bearing on how we govern or exist.“
- Untitled June 10, 2019Time to start building Limerick’s cycle network
- Untitled June 9, 2019Though you have left me, I’m not yet alone: For what you were befriends the firelit room; And what you said remains & is my own To make a living gladness of my gloom https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/09/student-discovers-new-siegfried-sassoon-love-poem
- Untitled May 20, 2019Your Green team. For a stronger Limerick and a stronger Europe.