My name is Thomas Bibby, I am an iOS Developer based in Limerick, Ireland. Read more about me»
- Forty, Thirty, Twenty, Ten: make Limerick’s transport work again July 11, 2019
- Time to start building Limerick’s cycle network June 10, 2019
- The young people of Limerick have spoken, it’s time to act on climate change March 15, 2019
- Memories of the abortion referendum campaign in Limerick November 22, 2018
- What’s next after Repealing the 8th? I’d like to help get a woman elected to Limerick Council August 15, 2018
- Some recent accounts of sexism and harassment in the tech industry August 7, 2018
- 12 better rules for men July 18, 2018
- Is Irish masculinity in crisis? July 15, 2018
All content by category
- I’m deleting my Facebook account tomorrowJanuary 8, 2018
- Starting to break out from the walled gardenSeptember 30, 2017
- Moving onJanuary 18, 2017
- Five reasons why you should buy my old post office vanApril 23, 2016
- It’s a new dawn, a new day…May 17, 2012
- Time to start building Limerick’s cycle networkJune 10, 2019
- The young people of Limerick have spoken, it’s time to act on climate changeMarch 15, 2019
- Memories of the abortion referendum campaign in LimerickNovember 22, 2018
- What’s next after Repealing the 8th? I’d like to help get a woman elected to Limerick CouncilAugust 15, 2018
- Limerick (County) 8th Amendment Referendum Tally 2018May 26, 2018
- Men of Limerick, please help to repeal the 8thApril 8, 2018
- If you’re lucky, like me, then campaign for RepealMarch 8, 2018
- We need to stop this nonsense about teaching coding in primary schoolJuly 18, 2016
- Supercalifragilis-HibernoCaledoniaJune 30, 2016
- Limerick City candidates answer my questionsFebruary 25, 2016
- Email the General Election 2016 candidates in Limerick CityJanuary 31, 2016
- Why I’m GreenJanuary 24, 2016
- Paying for water is a good thingSeptember 6, 2015
- Limerick City constituency tally Marriage Equality Referendum 2015May 24, 2015
- Limerick (county) constituency tally Marriage Equality Referendum 2015May 24, 2015
- Marriage is about friendshipMay 16, 2015
- The right to marryApril 9, 2015
- Getting married?March 30, 2013
- Moyross, Education, and changing the debateFebruary 4, 2013
- Some recent accounts of sexism and harassment in the tech industryAugust 7, 2018
- 12 better rules for menJuly 18, 2018
- Is Irish masculinity in crisis?July 15, 2018
- Make our street great againJune 29, 2017
- The Curious Tale of Limerick Marketing CompanyMay 17, 2016
- Reinventing Limerick, Part 1December 18, 2013
- On Foreigners and RubbishFebruary 25, 2013
- Get all cases of an enum in Swift 4.2 with CaseIterableMay 30, 2018
- Eight opinionated tips for people learning SwiftDecember 18, 2017
- Don’t use the Force, LukeMarch 19, 2017
- Hey Siri, turn the Christmas lights onDecember 28, 2016
- iOS – checking to see if a word with blank letters is valid using NSSet, NSArray, Core Data and SQLiteOctober 19, 2016
- How I edit podcastsOctober 1, 2016
- Announcing Direach, a new WordPress theme aimed at readersAugust 11, 2016
- Three podcasters fix a WordPress plugin bug (with chat logs)July 20, 2016
- Identifying Irish addresses by countyApril 14, 2016
- Escape to the pub with a Raspberry Pi, a pressure mat and push notificationsApril 12, 2016
- Getting generic Arduino boards with CH340G chips to work with OS X 10.11 El CapitanOctober 17, 2015
- Using the KYX-5461AS 4-digit 7-segment LED display with ArduinoOctober 17, 2015
- Untitled July 12, 2019Forty, Thirty, Twenty, Ten: make Limerick’s transport work again
- Untitled July 11, 2019This is not perfect but still to be welcomed – the road rises to meet the footpath, not the other way round, and the pedestrian priority is reinforced by the different material. So much better for pedestrians. More of this please!
- Untitled July 10, 2019In last year’s Limerick Council budget there was €1m for a cycle route to Mary I and €400m for a (unneeded) bridge at Park road. This year there’s no budget for the cycle route and €1.4m for the bridge. What’s going on?
- Untitled July 9, 2019“In Limerick, perhaps we need to arm our roads engineers with the permission to be street and community engineers instead“
- Untitled July 8, 2019Depressing thought of the day: Limerick city and county emits roughly the same amount of greenhouse gases as Liberia, population 4.5 million (source: Wikipedia, assuming per capita emissions in Limerick are the same as rest of country)
- Untitled July 1, 2019I’m hoping someone can help me…I’m trying to look at obnoxious interest rates charged by insurance companies on monthly instalments. 15% deposit and 9 equal instalments at an interest rate of 6.715%. APR is quoted at 17.04%. How is the APR calculated from those numbers?
- Untitled June 23, 2019Limerick’s traffic problem is a school traffic problem. Many parents want their kids to cycle or walk to school if they can be safe. We need to ditch plans for expensive ring roads and connect all schools with high quality bike lanes that your seven year-old would feel safe on.
- Untitled June 20, 2019Allowing Clare County Council and the University of Limerick to build a new town at the edge of the city would be damaging for the city, damaging for the region and damaging for the country.
- Untitled June 16, 2019Important questions: “To what extent is living in a surveillance-saturated world compatible with pluralism and democracy? What are the consequences of raising a generation of children whose every action feeds into a corporate database?”
- Untitled June 15, 2019I love this: “Our town exists in a fog of mystery and enigmatic strangeness, and nothing that happens outside city boundaries should have any bearing on how we govern or exist.“
- Untitled June 10, 2019Time to start building Limerick’s cycle network
- Untitled June 9, 2019Though you have left me, I’m not yet alone: For what you were befriends the firelit room; And what you said remains & is my own To make a living gladness of my gloom https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/09/student-discovers-new-siegfried-sassoon-love-poem
- Untitled May 20, 2019Your Green team. For a stronger Limerick and a stronger Europe.
- Untitled May 8, 2019You could line a room with reports written over the years saying what a bad thing sprawl has been for Limerick. We know the solution: concentrate development in the city centre. Instead we are planning even more sprawl, and it makes me sad.
- Untitled May 7, 2019This is the loveliest of things: a podcast about the story of repealing the 8th amendment in Limerick: produced by, narrated by and featuring the loveliest of people. Subscribe now and get episodes as they come in.
- Untitled May 2, 2019Ask your work colleagues if they are registered! If they weren’t born in Ireland they might think they’re not eligible. Five of my colleagues aren’t registered, so we’re heading into town tomorrow for a team lunch after getting forms signed in the Garda station.
- Untitled May 2, 2019If you live in Ireland since last Sept you can vote in local elections. Search for RFA2 form, print and get signed at Garda station. Limerick are accepting email scans of the form, you just have to email it yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline Tuesday 5pm.
- Untitled April 13, 2019Hey Limerick friends, I’m looking for a place to live on my own in Limerick City Centre. If anyone knows of anywhere to rent I’d be very grateful! email@example.com or Twitter DMs are open.
- Untitled March 20, 2019With this week’s Brexit chaos I was reminded of the Mary Poppins-inspired solution to Brexit that I came up with after the referendum. I also think our combined flag would be awesome.
- Untitled March 19, 2019Facebook are a deeply creepy company, which is why I deleted my account last year. Yet I still use WhatsApp, and I wonder if it’s ethical to keep using a Facebook-owned app in the face of all the creepiness that the company still engages in.