My name is Thomas Bibby, I am an iOS Developer based in Limerick, Ireland. Read more about me»
- Forty, Thirty, Twenty, Ten: make Limerick’s transport work again July 11, 2019
- Time to start building Limerick’s cycle network June 10, 2019
- The young people of Limerick have spoken, it’s time to act on climate change March 15, 2019
- Memories of the abortion referendum campaign in Limerick November 22, 2018
- What’s next after Repealing the 8th? I’d like to help get a woman elected to Limerick Council August 15, 2018
- Some recent accounts of sexism and harassment in the tech industry August 7, 2018
- 12 better rules for men July 18, 2018
- Is Irish masculinity in crisis? July 15, 2018
All content by category
- I’m deleting my Facebook account tomorrowJanuary 8, 2018
- Starting to break out from the walled gardenSeptember 30, 2017
- Moving onJanuary 18, 2017
- Five reasons why you should buy my old post office vanApril 23, 2016
- It’s a new dawn, a new day…May 17, 2012
- Time to start building Limerick’s cycle networkJune 10, 2019
- The young people of Limerick have spoken, it’s time to act on climate changeMarch 15, 2019
- Memories of the abortion referendum campaign in LimerickNovember 22, 2018
- What’s next after Repealing the 8th? I’d like to help get a woman elected to Limerick CouncilAugust 15, 2018
- Limerick (County) 8th Amendment Referendum Tally 2018May 26, 2018
- Men of Limerick, please help to repeal the 8thApril 8, 2018
- If you’re lucky, like me, then campaign for RepealMarch 8, 2018
- We need to stop this nonsense about teaching coding in primary schoolJuly 18, 2016
- Supercalifragilis-HibernoCaledoniaJune 30, 2016
- Limerick City candidates answer my questionsFebruary 25, 2016
- Email the General Election 2016 candidates in Limerick CityJanuary 31, 2016
- Why I’m GreenJanuary 24, 2016
- Paying for water is a good thingSeptember 6, 2015
- Limerick City constituency tally Marriage Equality Referendum 2015May 24, 2015
- Limerick (county) constituency tally Marriage Equality Referendum 2015May 24, 2015
- Marriage is about friendshipMay 16, 2015
- The right to marryApril 9, 2015
- Getting married?March 30, 2013
- Moyross, Education, and changing the debateFebruary 4, 2013
- Some recent accounts of sexism and harassment in the tech industryAugust 7, 2018
- 12 better rules for menJuly 18, 2018
- Is Irish masculinity in crisis?July 15, 2018
- Make our street great againJune 29, 2017
- The Curious Tale of Limerick Marketing CompanyMay 17, 2016
- Reinventing Limerick, Part 1December 18, 2013
- On Foreigners and RubbishFebruary 25, 2013
- Get all cases of an enum in Swift 4.2 with CaseIterableMay 30, 2018
- Eight opinionated tips for people learning SwiftDecember 18, 2017
- Don’t use the Force, LukeMarch 19, 2017
- Hey Siri, turn the Christmas lights onDecember 28, 2016
- iOS – checking to see if a word with blank letters is valid using NSSet, NSArray, Core Data and SQLiteOctober 19, 2016
- How I edit podcastsOctober 1, 2016
- Announcing Direach, a new WordPress theme aimed at readersAugust 11, 2016
- Three podcasters fix a WordPress plugin bug (with chat logs)July 20, 2016
- Identifying Irish addresses by countyApril 14, 2016
- Escape to the pub with a Raspberry Pi, a pressure mat and push notificationsApril 12, 2016
- Getting generic Arduino boards with CH340G chips to work with OS X 10.11 El CapitanOctober 17, 2015
- Using the KYX-5461AS 4-digit 7-segment LED display with ArduinoOctober 17, 2015
- Untitled September 17, 2019Decision on O’Connell St upgrade was deferred yesterday for two weeks. A few of us are meeting tonight to discuss possible co-operation and next steps. Drop me a line if you’d like to come along!
- Untitled September 13, 2019Happy 80th birthday Dr. Walsh, but your vision of urban sprawl for Limerick is a vision for last century, not this one. The whole concept of a new university town in Clare is performative nonsense and should be stopped.
- Untitled September 11, 2019From 1982: RTÉ archive footage showing the “experimental” closing of Grafton St. to traffic. Dubliners at the time were reassured that if it didn’t work, it’d be reversed after a year. Nearly 40 years later, could we follow suit in Limerick? https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/1123/922278-grafton-street-traffic-free/
- Untitled September 7, 2019The saddest thing about Limerick city centre is that it has no proper toy shop.
- Untitled September 4, 2019What happens when you concentrate development on the outskirts of a city and treat your city centre as a thoroughfare for private cars? Bad planning doesn’t just harm social inclusion, it harms economic activity too. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/limerick-has-3-5-times-more-vacant-office-space-than-galway-1.4007594?mode=amp
- Untitled August 31, 2019Sextons on Henry St has Cards Against Humanity and Franciscan Well beers on tap. Pizza’s pretty good too.
- Untitled August 30, 2019Enough. Too many pedestrians and cyclists are getting injured and killed in Limerick. Let’s say no to the roads engineers who want ring roads and car throughput: the more we build, the more (and the faster) the cars will come. Prioritise people over cars.
- Untitled August 28, 2019“The popularity of React is fueled by corporate-sponsorship, a tech industry seeking validation by becoming Hard and Masculine, and aggressive Capitalist principles…that result in Things being placed before People”
- Untitled August 28, 2019Workers from Limerick Civic Trust maintain the canal path I use to get to work. They do a fantastic job and it makes my commute safer and more enjoyable.
- Untitled August 22, 2019Had a close encounter tonight in the car park beside my flat.
- Untitled August 6, 2019Good news for those of us crying out for better public transport and cycling facilities in Limerick. And some bad news.
- Untitled August 4, 2019And Eoin in Limerick has been writing some brilliant articles about cycling, urbanism, and how to design people-centred cities and neighbourhoods. I’m always grateful when there’s another post of his to read.
- Untitled August 4, 2019Reading long-form articles that people have posted on their own websites makes me so happy. Paul from Kerry has been posting some fantastic and thought provoking pieces about masculinity recently – they’re worth a read.
- Untitled August 3, 2019A fascinating look at how people use public spaces. Lots of really useful lessons on how to design our cities for humans.
- Untitled July 31, 2019Hear, hear: ‘But Fianna Fail councillor Abul Kalam Azad Talukder said: “Students are not outsiders. They are our family. Limerick has a good name as a student city and we need to make them feel welcome.”’
- Untitled July 29, 2019From a post I wrote last year: it is possible to close Limerick’s O’Connell St to through traffic *and* speed up our bus services by providing bus lanes for all services through the city centre.
- Untitled July 22, 2019Two letters to the editor of the Limerick Leader, November 1964.
- Untitled July 12, 2019Forty, Thirty, Twenty, Ten: make Limerick’s transport work again
- Untitled July 11, 2019This is not perfect but still to be welcomed – the road rises to meet the footpath, not the other way round, and the pedestrian priority is reinforced by the different material. So much better for pedestrians. More of this please!
- Untitled July 10, 2019In last year’s Limerick Council budget there was €1m for a cycle route to Mary I and €400m for a (unneeded) bridge at Park road. This year there’s no budget for the cycle route and €1.4m for the bridge. What’s going on?