My name is Thomas Bibby, I live in Killaloe, Ireland. Read more about me»
- Submission on Draft Killaloe-Ballina Town Enhancement Plan August 20, 2021
- Town is dirty, let’s do thirty August 16, 2021
- Vehicle ownership and per capita kms driven by Irish county March 27, 2021
- Parliamentary Assistant March 9, 2020
- Submission to the public consultation on the Land Development Agency’s master planning of Colbert Station February 28, 2020
- Transport and Mobility January 2, 2020
- Limerick Pedestrian Network November 4, 2019
- Submission to draft Limerick City and County Council corporate plan 2019-2024 October 17, 2019
All content by category
- Submission on Draft Killaloe-Ballina Town Enhancement PlanAugust 20, 2021
- Town is dirty, let’s do thirtyAugust 16, 2021
- Vehicle ownership and per capita kms driven by Irish countyMarch 27, 2021
- Transport and MobilityJanuary 2, 2020
- Limerick Pedestrian NetworkNovember 4, 2019
- Forty, Thirty, Twenty, Ten: make Limerick’s transport work againJuly 11, 2019
- Supercharging Public Transport around Limerick’s SuperblockMarch 4, 2018
- GetThere.ie – finally a good intermodal journey planner for IrelandMay 18, 2012
- Submission to draft Limerick City and County Council corporate plan 2019-2024October 17, 2019
- Time to start building Limerick’s cycle networkJune 10, 2019
- The young people of Limerick have spoken, it’s time to act on climate changeMarch 15, 2019
- Memories of the abortion referendum campaign in LimerickNovember 22, 2018
- What’s next after Repealing the 8th? I’d like to help get a woman elected to Limerick CouncilAugust 15, 2018
- Limerick (County) 8th Amendment Referendum Tally 2018May 26, 2018
- Men of Limerick, please help to repeal the 8thApril 8, 2018
- If you’re lucky, like me, then campaign for RepealMarch 8, 2018
- We need to stop this nonsense about teaching coding in primary schoolJuly 18, 2016
- Supercalifragilis-HibernoCaledoniaJune 30, 2016
- Limerick City candidates answer my questionsFebruary 25, 2016
- Email the General Election 2016 candidates in Limerick CityJanuary 31, 2016
- Why I’m GreenJanuary 24, 2016
- Paying for water is a good thingSeptember 6, 2015
- Limerick City constituency tally Marriage Equality Referendum 2015May 24, 2015
- Limerick (county) constituency tally Marriage Equality Referendum 2015May 24, 2015
- Marriage is about friendshipMay 16, 2015
- The right to marryApril 9, 2015
- Getting married?March 30, 2013
- Moyross, Education, and changing the debateFebruary 4, 2013
- Some recent accounts of sexism and harassment in the tech industryAugust 7, 2018
- 12 better rules for menJuly 18, 2018
- Is Irish masculinity in crisis?July 15, 2018
- Make our street great againJune 29, 2017
- The Curious Tale of Limerick Marketing CompanyMay 17, 2016
- Reinventing Limerick, Part 1December 18, 2013
- On Foreigners and RubbishFebruary 25, 2013
- A smart bird box to measure traffic and air qualityOctober 5, 2019
- Irish Population change 2006-2016 by areaJuly 14, 2016
- Where in Ireland has the most pubs per person?November 15, 2015
- Get all cases of an enum in Swift 4.2 with CaseIterableMay 30, 2018
- Eight opinionated tips for people learning SwiftDecember 18, 2017
- Don’t use the Force, LukeMarch 19, 2017
- Hey Siri, turn the Christmas lights onDecember 28, 2016
- iOS – checking to see if a word with blank letters is valid using NSSet, NSArray, Core Data and SQLiteOctober 19, 2016
- How I edit podcastsOctober 1, 2016
- Announcing Direach, a new WordPress theme aimed at readersAugust 11, 2016
- Three podcasters fix a WordPress plugin bug (with chat logs)July 20, 2016
- Identifying Irish addresses by countyApril 14, 2016
- Escape to the pub with a Raspberry Pi, a pressure mat and push notificationsApril 12, 2016
- Getting generic Arduino boards with CH340G chips to work with OS X 10.11 El CapitanOctober 17, 2015
- Using the KYX-5461AS 4-digit 7-segment LED display with ArduinoOctober 17, 2015
- Untitled May 21, 2022Cycled to the 5pm bus to Nenagh to go and see An Cailín Ciúin in the cinema, and enough time for a wander before the 9pm bus home.
- Untitled May 21, 2022Consultation on the proposed Workplace Parking Levy for Leicester – would be the second in the UK after Nottingham – closed last month. Projected revenue of £95m over 10 years – ringfenced for sustainable transport spending.
- Untitled May 19, 2022“What about me? Stop the child murder”, 1985. From a wonderful collection of Dutch cycling and anti-car posters in The Guardian.
- Untitled May 19, 2022Active Travel England launches with some encouraging statements of intent.
- Untitled May 5, 2022Very interesting report from the US (PDF) about how public transport agencies can address persistent inequality.
- Untitled April 25, 2022Today is a happy day. MSc. in Sustainable Transport and Mobility.
- Untitled October 21, 2021A fascinating paper by Prof John Fitzgerald from 2020 describing the waiving of the Irish Free State’s portion of the United Kingdom’s debt agreed in the Anglo-Irish Treaty as the largest debt relief episode in the twentieth century
- Untitled October 2, 2021An interesting guide (pdf) on designing cities to be accessible when you’re transporting very small children, and the benefits of doing so
- Untitled September 27, 2021The answer to reducing emissions from private cars isn’t necessarily incentivising the purchase of new cars. A Japanese study shows that keeping used cars on the road for 10% longer actually saves emissions. We are at the stage where we should be following Norway in taxing new/imported fossil fuel cars (including hybrids) to the hilt.
- Untitled August 20, 2021I made a submission on the draft Killaloe-Ballina Town Enhancement and Mobility Plan
- Untitled August 16, 2021I made a submission to the review of Limerick’s speed limits calling for a 30km/h speed limit in all urban areas
- Untitled April 7, 2021The New York Times had some coverage of this particular university “rating” scheme back in 2012. UL and National College of Ireland are the only Irish participants this year.
- Untitled April 4, 2021Interesting paper about battery improvements in a Royal Society of Chemistry journal: “we find that the real price of lithium-ion cells, scaled by their energy capacity, has declined by about 97% since their commercial introduction in 1991”
- Untitled March 27, 2021Per capita, which counties in Ireland drive the most and the least? An idle question I had this morning. Some of the rankings were surprising to me. I posted the full table on my website.
- Untitled March 14, 2021A swathe of positive outcomes in health, economics, equality and the environment are possible if we: 1. Build medium density housing all around the country where you don’t need a car for most daily tasks 2. Reallocate space on our roads and streets away from the private car.
- Untitled February 14, 2021
- Untitled July 7, 2020Before politics I was a mobile app developer for many years. I have lots of nitpicky issues with the COVID Tracker app, but privacy isn’t one of them. I’ve downloaded it and I urge you to ask others to do the same. https://covidtracker.gov.ie
- Untitled May 10, 2020Our future is not self driving cars, but self propelled people.
- Untitled April 10, 2020Apple and Google have teamed together to offer infrastructure around contact tracing. This is exciting news. Scepticism is justified about tech companies but this is well thought out and privacy is designed in from the start.
- Untitled April 9, 2020An illustration of a coronavirus entering the lungs. The light purple proteins at the edge are the spikes that help the virus to attach to and enter other cells. Under a microscope the spikes of the virus look like a crown, hence the name coronavirus.